The National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA) recently announced the 2019 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards in the December issue of Structure Magazine. The Rufus 2.0 Spheres in Seattle, WA. Was awarded the “Outstanding Project” for New Buildings $20 Million to $100 Million. We worked with some of our amazing partners in the PNW on this project! Albina’s portion included bending 750,000# and 1,050 pieces of rectangular tube steel bent the easy way and a portion bent off-axis for this project. Almost 8 miles of welding work and grinding was avoided because of Albina’s ability to bend a portion of the project. Almost NO correction was needed during fabrication or erection as the bends fit to the fixtures within 1/32nd of an inch!
The NCSEA (National Council of Structural Engineers Associations) awarded the Newport Beach Civic Center and Park with the “Outstanding Project Award for New Buildings Over $100 Million.” Albina Co., Inc. was the bender/roller for the iconic curved wide-flanged waved roofs that line the façade of the building. The AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) recognized this same project as a 2014 IDEA National Award Winner in the Spring of 2014.
Architect: Bohlin Cywindski Jackson
Structural Engineer: Arup
Fabricator: SME Steel Contractors
Bender/Roller: Albina Co., Inc.
352,000# of rolled steel by Albina
• W10 x 26#- 502 pcs all rolled the hardway to AESS standards. Rolled down to a 16 ft radius.
• TS 3” x 3” x .250” wall- 502 pcs rolled to match the W10 x 26#.
• WT 3 x 13.5#- 158 pcs split from W6 x 27# (by Albina) and rolled Stem-in and Stem-out down to a 15 ft radius.
• TS 8” x 8” x .500” wall- rolled to AESS standards
• TS 6” x 6” x .250” wall- rolled to AESS standards
• TS 8” x 8” x .375” wall- 60 pcs rolled to AESS standards