Back in June, I posted a picture of some spiral bent Tube Steel 16″ X 16″ X .625″ WALL A500 GR B bent down to a an 18 foot radius, using our induction heating process, for the new American Airlines headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas. In addition to the 16″ square, we produced another set of spirals consisting of Tube Steel 14″ x 6″ x .625″ wall REALLY tight, exposed and bent to a 5′-6″ radius on a 45° pitch. Below is a progress picture of the installation of these spiral stringers.
The 1.7 million-square-foot complex, dubbed the “Trinity complex,” consists of constructing four seven-story buildings. It will cost at least $300 million to build and will house over 6,500 employees. There are 10 tower cranes on the project and there will be more than 1,000 construction workers on-site during the peak. It is scheduled to open during the second half of 2019. These are the type of bends that ONLY Albina can do!
Albina Co., Inc. bent 40,000 lbs. of various sizes of tube steel for the spiral staircases at the John J. Hemmingson Center at Gonzaga University Spokane, WA. Materials consisted of Tube Steel 16″ X 8″ X .500″ WALL A500 GR B rolled the easy way down to a 22 ft radius. These lengths of material were spiral bent using our induction heating process to AESS standards. We also bent Tube Steel 12″ X 6″ X .250″ WALL A500 GR B rolled the hard way down to a 19 ft radius. The John J. Hemmingson Center was completed in 2015 and serves as a meeting place for students, staff and visitors the University. We visited the campus shortly after it opened and my son will tell you that the highlight for him was the cafe where you can make your own milkshakes! He was sold from then on out and hopes to attend Gonzago University himself one day!
University of Gonzaga Steel Spiral Staircase
Albina is working on bending rectangular hallow structural steel for the Olympic Towne Center project in West Gig Harbor, Washington. The Olympic Towne Center development will boast 186,291 square feet of retail space and will anchored by a 65,000 square foot grocery store. This project requires Albina to bend some TS 12″ X 3″ X .375″ WALL A500 GR B rectangular tubing. Part of the project consists of spiral bent stair stringers, induction bent, down to an 6 foot plan view radius! This is a very tight radius for spiral bending HSS members. We are induction bending this material with our in-house designed induction bending method which will result in the highest quality spiral bends seen in the industry. We are also providing bends for the stair case landings. These bends are also down to a 6 foot radius and will all be provided to AESS quality standards.
Albina was recently awarded the bending for the Segerstrom Center for the Arts located in Costa Mesa, CA. This project consists of 48,000# of bending out of TS 20″ X 12″ X .625″ WALL A500 GR B (4 lengths x 48 ft and 3 lengths x 60 ft). All of this material is being bent with our in-house designed induction bending method. 30% of the parts will be spiral bent while the other 70% of the parts are being bent the easy-way to various configurations and radii. We are working to a critical ship date and will certainly deliver as promised.
The Buyers Guide is published annually by the National Ornamental & Miscellaneous Metals Association (NOMMA). They Buyers Guide is now available in print and online on the NOMMA website. Albina’s ad can be see opposite the inside back cover. In the ad, we feature one of the most difficult spiral stringer projects we have ever undertaken in the last 78 years. We recently spiral bent 20″ X 18″ rectangular tube steel down to a 7’7″ plan view radius and 20″ x 12″ rectangular tube steel down to a 13’9″ plan view radius for the Lakeside Campus in Richardson, Texas. Our induction heat source and increment bending method produces extremely tight spiral bends which all met AESS standards. Check out the most recent NOMMA Buyers Guide or see the pictures below to see the bends for yourself.
Steel Spiral Stringers Installed
Steel Spiral Stringers for Heavy Weight Bearing Spiral Staircase
Albina recently completed bending 16″ OD X .625″ WALL A500 GR B material for a new bridge at the San Diego Zoo. A total of 24 lens x 48 feet weighing 118,350 pounds were required for this job. Albina used a combination of induction bending and cold increment bending to complete this project to meet AESS standards. Radii on the projected ranged from a 20 foot center-line-radius to a 350 foot center-line-radius. We are not a stranger to bending bridges for California Zoos! See below for a few examples of curved steel bridges and custom signage that we completed for the Happy Hallow Zoo in San Jose.