Albina recently had the pleasure of teaming up with Ed Carpenter and his team to help create the Barbara Walker Crossing Wildwood Trail Bridge at West Burnside in Portland, Oregon. The bridge is 178’ long measured at the center of its curving deck. Its basic structure is a tri-chord truss of rusting and painted steel, Carpenter’s design evokes imagery of the sword ferns and vine maples lining the entire length of the Wildwood Trail This is a project of the Portland Parks Foundation in partnership with Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R), Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT), and Metro. Albina bent 3½” SCH80 A847 and 5″ SCH40 A847 all rolled to various radii, as well as 1″ SCH40 A53B, 1½” SCH40 A53B, 1½” SCH80 A53B all rolled to various radii. Bridge Design and Photos by Ed Carpenter.
A shout out to these awesome guys for all their hard work and dedication! The shop is super busy right now and they are churning through the work creating top quality steel bends for our customers! We are so busy that we are looking for qualified candidates that want to join us in our steel bending adventures. If you are interested in learning more about the available positions in our shop, please contact HR email@example.com.
Candidate must have extensive knowledge of the steel industry. With a minimum of 5 years’ experience purchasing and shipping in the steel industry. Candidate must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects at any given time. Must be well connected in the steel industry and have a strong reputation for customer service. High-level computer and math (geometry) skills required.
Read & interpret shop drawings and shop data to determine how items are going to ship. Candidate is responsible for shipping and purchasing decisions (with direction from project managers). Work with a team of estimators, project managers, production managers and yard managers to successfully perform duties.
Compensation package based on experience. This is NOT an entry-level position. Please email your resume Attn: HR Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carving pumpkins is a family tradition in the Smith House, a tradition that started 20 years ago with one of mine and Jaime’s first dates. But like most events in our household, it is not something we just do without thorough planning and preparation. We follow a strict set-up, we have our designs in mind before we start, we have all of the tools we need at hand, we tackle challenging designs, and most importantly, we have Chinese food waiting for us when we are done! But in all seriousness, the steps we go through to carve pumpkins are very similar to the ones we go through when dealing with a project involving a curved steel component.
1) Plan Ahead: Buy Your Pumpkin Shortly Before Halloween
2) Buy Your Pumpkin from a Pumpkin Patch or Supermarket
3) Select a Healthy Pumpkin Free of Nicks, Bruises and Cuts
4) Pick the Size You Need
5) Choose a Design Before You Start Carving
6) Choose a Method for Carving Your Pumpkin
7) Trace Your Design on the Pumpkin
8) Set Up a Spacious Work Area
9) Select the Right Tools
10) Remove the Filling
11) Carve Your Design
12) Display Your Pumpkin
1) Plan Ahead: Early Involvement of Key Players, especially Your Bender/Roller.
2) Buy the Steel: Have Us Quote Your Job Labor + Material or Purchase Your Own Steel from a Service Center and Have it Delivered To Us
4) Pick the Size You Need: Use our Handy Calculators or refer to our quote indicating the lengths we require to successfully bend your project.
5) Work with the Engineer, Architect or Bender/Roller on the Project to Perfect the Design of the Curved Steel
6) We will Choose a Method for Bending Your Steel Based on Your Needs and the Application of the Product
7) We Bend Per Your Template and/or Drawings.
8) We have a 50,000 sq ft Shop with Ample Room to Handle Large Structural Projects and Smaller Repeat Orders.
9) We have the Right Tools with State of the Art Bending Equipment, Bend Dies, Fab Equipment and a QC Department.
10) No Need to Remove the Filling! We DO NOT fill your HSS with other Structural Members. We are able to Bend HSS Members WITHOUT adding extra Material and Weight.
11) Bend, Roll, Spiral, Fabricate, Form!!
12) Erect, Assemble & Display Award Winning Projects Featuring Curved Steel Members for the Steel Industry to See!